XEROSTOM with Saliactive®
Combined use of XEROSTOM with Saliactive® products for one week has shown that:
- Increase salivary flow up to 200%. (1)
- Relieve pain associated with xerostomia.
- Improve dry mouth and throat.
- Quench thirst due to lack of saliva.
XEROSTOM improves the Quality of Life associated with xerostomia
- Helps to recover the natural defences provided by saliva.
- Acts in the mouth as a natural moisturiser. (1).
- Reduces oral discomfort (difficulty swallowing, speaking, tasting, eating) associated with xerostomia. (2).
Results obtained from a study developed at the University of New York. Ship JA, et al. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 34 (2007) 724-732. New York University.
The causes of xerostomia are diverse, the most frequent are the following:
- The causes of xerostomia are diverse, the most frequent are the following:
- Consumption of certain medications: antidepressants, anti-inflammatories, diuretics, anxiolytics, etc.
- Cancer treatments: Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy.
- Immune system disorders: Sjögren’s syndrome, HIV infection, Hepatitis, Multiple sclerosis, Lupus erythematosus, etc.
- Systemic diseases: Diabetes, Cancer, Alzheimer’s, rheumatic diseases, etc.
- Kidney and / or liver failure: Dialysis, Liver disease.
- Urinary incontinence.
- Menopause and pelvic floor syndrome.
- Oral and maxillofacial pathology.
- Other situations: Stress, alcohol, tobacco, sleep apnea, hormonal alterations, aging, weight loss regimes, etc.
- Combination of the above.
The main signs and symptoms of xerostomia are:
- Mouth feeling dry and irritated.
- Halitosis and bad taste / strange flavours.
- Burning sensation in the mouth and tongue.
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing, swallowing, and speaking.
- Thick saliva (pasty mouthfeel). Strand of saliva between the teeth or tongue and palate.
- Pain in the soft tissues and / or in the tongue.
- Need to moisten the mouth in short intervals of time.
The presence of these symptoms significantly affects the quality of life of patients. In addition, the decrease in salivary flow increases the risk of numerous oral pathologies and problems, such as:
- Rapid progression of dental caries and increased accumulation of dental plaque
- Periodontal disease
- Dental wear
- Cracked lips
- Intolerance to teeth and lack of retention
- Infections by opportunistic pathogens; for example, Candida spp.
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Insomnia, irritability and depression
First of all, measures should be taken aimed at better hydration of the oral cavity. For this reason, it is advisable to drink water frequently to keep the mucous membranes hydrated and replace your oral hygiene products with moisturising oral products such as XEROSTOM.
It is advisable to avoid irritating factors and foods, such as coffee, tobacco and alcohol, and spicy, acidic and / or salty foods, and encourage the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
It is also essential to take extreme oral hygiene measures to maintain good oral health with two objectives: to hydrate the oral cavity and prevent the appearance of diseases:
- Brush teeth three times a day for at least two minutes with soft brushes.
- Use of pastes and mouthwashes with fluoride, with moisturising ingredients (such as xylitol, which in addition to hydrating helps prevent tooth decay in certain concentrations, or betaine) and without irritating ingredients (such as sodium lauryl sulfate or alcohol), as they can increase xerostomia.
- Daily interproximal hygiene, either with dental floss / tape or interproximal brushes.
- Daily tongue hygiene, through the use of the tongue cleaner.
- Periodic control with your dentist.
Likewise, the causative factor of xerostomia must be identified and whether it can be modified.
The XEROSTOM line is designed to be used as long as required. Read the leaflet carefully. However, if the problem persists in time, it is advisable to go to a professional for supervision.
No product in the XEROSTOM line contains gluten or lactose.